Nicholson Bridge

Highlights of the Nicholson Bridge (formally known as the Tunkhannock (Creek) Viaduct):

Built by the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad from 1912-1915.

Designed by Abraham Burton Cohen, with George G. Ray as Chief Engineer.

Concrete was first poured in January 1913 with the entire project using 185,000 barrels, or 1,093 carloads, of cement producing 167,000 cubic yards of concrete.

About 1,140 tons of steel were used to reinforce the concrete.

There are 12 arches, with one at each end buried in the ground.

Each visible arch is 180 feet long, and the bridge itself is 2,375 feet long (about 1/2 mile).

The engineering marvel is 300 feet above bedrock and 240 feet above the Tunkhannock Creek (hence its formal name)

When the bridge was built, it cost about $1.4 million to build.

The Nicholson Bridge was part of a larger cut-off project (which cost about $12 million) by the DL&W to eliminate the number of grade crossings to save time between Buffalo, NY and Hoboken, NJ.

The American Society of Civil Engineers designated the bridge as a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark in 1975.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 11, 1977.

The Nicholson Heritage Association has more detailed information on the Nicholson Bridge at: http://www.nicholsonheritage.org/tunkhannock-creek-viaduct/.