Historical Features

Nicholson, PA was incorporated by a charter granted on August 23, 1875. According to the 1880 U.S. Census, there were 586 residents in Nicholson, while recent U.S. Census data shows that Nicholson had an estimated population of 767.

The borough was named after John Nicholson, former comptroller general of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania from 1782 to 1794. At one time, he held millions of acres of land in Pennsylvania, however, he died in a debtor's prison in Philadelphia in 1800.

Nicholson has numerous historic buildings, including a 1906 cheese factory, 1926 Northern Electric trolley station, 1849 Delaware, Lackawanna & Western (DL&W) Railroad station, numerous historic homes, including Victorian, and the DL&W built Tunkhannock Creek Viaduct, also known as the Tunkhannock Viaduct or the Nicholson Bridge. Incorporating these sites and linking to the area’s railroading and transportation attractions establishes the foundation needed to attract additional visitors to Nicholson. Area historic attractions include the Martins Creek Viaduct, Viaduct Valley Way Scenic Byway (Byway), Starrucca Viaduct, Pennsylvania Anthracite Heritage Museum and Iron Furnaces, Electric City Trolley Museum, Steamtown National Historic Site, Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour, D&H Gravity Railroad Depot Museum, Honesdale: the birthplace of American Railroad, and the PA Route 6 Heritage Corridor. See infographic below:

For more detailed history of Nicholson, please visit the Nicholson Heritage Association's history page by clicking here.

For more detailed history of Pennsylvania, please click here.

Walking Tour Map of Nicholson below, courtesy of the Nicholson Heritage Association: